Research Partner Profile
The Ohio State University
Patrick S. Osmer
Vice Provost for Graduate Studies
and Dean of the Graduate School
Participating Programs (9)
Electrial and Computer Engineering
Molecular, Cellular, and Development Biology
The Graduate School is implementing recommendations from two comprehensive reviews of graduate education and the Graduate School at Ohio State. Both reports take as their foundational premise the need for Ohio State to attend to and increase the quality of its graduate programs in order for the university to achieve its goal of becoming one of the world’s great public research and teaching universities. Initiatives, many of which were recommendations of the two review committees, are underway to improve the Graduate School; these efforts underpin Ohio State’s participation in the Ph.D. Completion Project.
- Comprehensive plan for recruiting and retaining students from underrepresented populations and/or women.
- Initiate comprehensive orientation program.
- Create protocol, through data gathered in exit survey, to help identify candidates who are committed to the Ph.D. career path.
- Survey applicants to determine why admissions offers are accepted or declined; compare with exit data.
- Peer Mentoring.
- Early identification and intervention of “at-risk” students.
- Create omsbud position to support first-year students.
- Explore higher stipends for dissertating students.
- Create more one-quarter releases from teaching for dissertating students.
- Increase stipend support for summer research.
- Create “Direct B.S. to Ph.D.” program.
- Create a terminal non-thesis MS program.
- Outreach to and integration of fellows.
- Implement regular advisor/advisee meetings and progress reports.
- Development of student groups.